Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Day with our Little Turkeys

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." Psalms 107-1

Today, and everyday, I am so thankful for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  Without Him, nothing else that I have listed during this 30 day challenge would even matter.  God has blessed Mark and me this past year, showing us that we are not in control, and that His plans are so much better than our own.   I am so thankful this Thanksgiving for His grace, mercy, and love.  God is good, all the time.

This Thanksgiving Day it was just the 4 of us.  As we sat down tonight to eat dinner, Mark and I both teared up.  It is so surreal to think that on this night last year we were trying to decide on names for Baby A and Baby B.  So much life has happened this past year, and we have been blessed greatly.  Although we missed being with our families, today was very special for us.  We have our babies home, they are doing well, and we are happy.  I can't imagine wanting anything more.  I even cooked this year, and it wasn't too bad!  Actually, Mark keeps raving about it, but then again, he's a smart man, so he knows it's in his best interest to tell me it tasted good.  But, I thought it was great, considering this is the first year I've ever cooked a thanksgiving meal all by myself.  Yes, last year I hosted Thanksgiving dinner for Mark's family, but I had horrible pregnancy sickness, so my mom and sister ended up doing all the cooking.  So this year, I was completely flying solo. I made an apple cider brined turkey with an apple cider glaze, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole with a homemade béchamel sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy, sautéed bacon and bourbon collard greens, and homemade buttermilk parmesan rolls with cracked black pepper.  And, to top it off, I baked a pumpkin caramel cheesecake with pecan pie glazed pecans.  TO.DIE.FOR.  Calories don't count on holidays, right?? Well, I'm not gonna count them today.  Below are some pictures from our day, and proof for my mom and sister, and Henry and Harper one day, that I really did pull it off.  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  I pray that if you are reading this, you have been blessed with friends, family, and health on this special day.


Our sweet little turkeys









I even used our fine china.  Only the second time in our marriage that they've been used.

These little turkeys are trying out their new high chairs.

Henry really liked sitting with mommy and daddy at dinner.

Harper was not so sure, but she ended up loving her chair.  Almost fell asleep.




Here's the proof
Why, yes, that's the same as the cover of Southern Living.


My little snuggle bug.  I believe I was in a semi-food coma.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful family and a beautiful meal! It looks like you did a great job your first time. Way to go BJ!

Anna said...

I have the same china. Looks delicious! So glad that you all are doing well.